FISHING: August Calander and Events
Published July 28, 2011
Published: Tuesday, June 28, 2011 at 1:00 a.m.
Last Modified: Wednesday, July 27, 2011 at 9:14 p.m.
Scallops were once plentiful in Sarasota Bay, but have now nearly disappeared.
Sarasota Bay Great Scallop Search
August 13 at Mar Vista Restaurant, 760 Broadway St, Longboat Key.
Captains meeting at 8 a.m.; volunteers search starts at 9 a.m. and ends at 12:30 p.m. with complimentary lunch.
Sign up at www.sarasotabaywatch.org or call 953-5333.
For that reason, "Scallopalooza-Repay the Bay" will take place on Aug. 6 to help revitalize that part of the area's fishery.
The fundraiser, sponsored by Sarasota Bay Watch, is being hosted by the Sarasota Yacht Club and will feature a dinner and auction that includes a weekend at Steinhatchee Landings Resort, jewelry, sporting goods, a print by Clyde Butcher, guided fishing trips, and more.
Profits will go toward Bay Watch's goal of raising $10,000 to fund a stocking program that involves spawning scallops at a fish hatchery, then releasing the larva into seagrass beds.
And, this year's Sarasota Bay Great Scallop Search is scheduled for Aug. 13 at Mar Vista Restaurant on Longboat Key from 9 a.m to 12:30 p.m. followed by a complimentary lunch.
Captains and volunteers can sign up at www.sarasotabaywatch.org. or call 953-5333.
CALENDAR AUGUST 2011
• Aug. 2-6: The Sarasota Slam Fishing Tournament (part of the World Billfish Series), sponsored by the Sarasota County Sports Commission, will be held at Marina Jack. Separate divisions for billfish, inshore, and offshore. Call (941) 955-0991.
• Aug. 3: Capt. Spencer Goodwin will present a program on the Cockroach Bay area of Tampa Bay, 6:30 p.m. at Good Shepherd Lutheran Church, 5659 Honore Ave., Sarasota, for the Kayak Anglers of West Florida. Call 203) 482-1790.
• Aug. 6: NRA First Steps Pistol Course, 8 a.m.-noon at AmericInn, 5931 Fruitville Rd., Sarasota. Non-residents are eligible, and the course meets Concealed Carry Permit requirements. Call (941) 706-4358.
• Aug. 8,10,15,17: The Sarasota Power & Sail Squadron will conduct a state-approved four-night Boat Safety Class at 2814 Hyde Park St. from 7-9 p.m. The $55 fee includes all course materials. Call (941) 927-5879.
• Aug. 11: Capt. Medina will present a program on Summer Fishing in Charlotte Harbor for the Englewood Fishing Club, 6:30 p.m. at Bay Harbor Ford,1908 S. McCall Rd. Admission is free and open to the public. Call (941) 497-7890.
• Aug. 13: Sarasota Bay Great Scallop Search at Mar Vista Restaurant, 760 Broadway St, Longboat Key. Captains meeting at 8 a.m.; search starts at 9 a.m. and ends at 12:30 p.m. with complimentary lunch. Sign up at www.sarasotabaywatch.org. or call 953-5333.
• Aug. 18: The Charlotte Harbor Fly Fishers will hold their monthly meeting at 6:30 p.m. at the Civic Association Building, 420 Pompano Trail, Punta Gorda. Admission is $3. Meetings have been changed to the third Thursday of each month.
• Aug. 23: The Mangrove Coast Fly Fishers will meet at Twin Lakes Park on Clark Rd., one-half-mile east of I-75, at 7 p.m. There will be fly tying, casting instruction (6:30), and raffles. Call (941) 320-2400.
• Aug. 24: The Charlotte County Antique Tackle Collectors will meet at 6:30 p.m. at the Charlotte Park Civic Association Clubhouse, 420 Pompano Terrace, Punta Gorda. Admission is $3. Call (941) 639-8330.
• RED ALERT ONE: Possession of gag grouper in the Gulf of Mexico is prohibited through Sept. 14.
• RED ALERT TWO: The possession of snook is prohibited in the Gulf of Mexico and Florida's west coast estuaries through Aug. 31, 2012.
• RED ALERT THREE: Harvest of red snapper in the Gulf of Mexico is closed through May 31, 2012.
• TO REPORT fishing or wildlife violations, call 1-888-404-3922. Cell users can dial *FWC.
This story appeared in print on page C3
Reader comments posted to this article may be published in our print edition. All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.
Find it Here »